RE: Japanese dose readings - for real?

Andy,

It would be very difficult without knowing the details of the accident, but
from looking at "An Updated Nuclear Criticality Slide Rule", NUREG/CR-6504,
and from my understanding of such events, I would hazard a guess that the 3
millisieverts/hr number at 1.2 km may be high.  Perhaps a missed decimal
point or error in prefix.  However, the earlier values of 80 mR/hr at the
site boundary may be fairly accurate, if indeed the system is still
operating.

PS:  Before anybody asks, no, I do not have any inside information at this
time.  Just reading the press like everybody else. :-)

Douglas M. Minnema, Ph.D., CHP
Radiological Control Program Advisor for Defense Programs
Department of Energy
<Douglas.Minnema@ns.doe.gov>

what few thoughts i have are truly my own