RE: Prophylactic use of KI in Japan

KI usage - why not?

Two of the reasons KI is not stockpiled are that it is not cost-effective
and that it is logistically very difficult to distribute the drug.  The
first yields somewhat to the fact that KI is also not expensive, the second
is a more robust argument.  Alabama's program to distribute at sites along
the evacuation route (after the recipient signs a waiver of liability) was
the best I've read of, though not totally satisfactory. There are other
reasons not to distribute, but I'd rather let their advocates present them.