Re: the RADSAFE tantrum re Lochbaum/NPR/UCS

	The impressive list of names connected with UCS is because of
their work on nuclear weapons proliferation problems. This has been
entirely separate from their anti-nuclear power activities. In fact, Henry
Kendall agreed to separate himself from the nuclear power issues when he
decided to go into the weapons proliferation arena.
	My objection was to the Morning Edition interviewing a
representative of UCS on the health effects of radiation, an area in which
they have no expertise, and in which there are hundreds of experts readily
available. The interview was strictly about health effects, with no
mention of nuclear safety, and no others were interviewed on the subject.
	I very firmly believe that if NPR wants to interview a scientist
about health effects of radiation, it should not be a representative of
UCS. That was all that I said in my message. I would go further and say
that if NPR wants to interview a representative of UCS on nuclear safety,
they should simultaneously interview members of the nuclear safety
scientific community.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh