RE: Beta Emitters & Dose Calibrators

Group,

I can give some information wrt Sr-89 only relating to John L. s question
and concern over accuracy of therapy doses The US maximum dose is 4 mCi.
Reportedly European uses have been 8 mCi and a former associate indicated
that she had seen some anecdotal reports of cures rather than just relief of
pain at that level.  Sr-89 is used for treatment of terminal bone cancer
patients to relieve pain without the side affects of narcotics.  So moderate
variations in dose are probably not of great concern.  We don't use P-32
here and I am not sure what it is used for.  I do however share the concern
that therapy doses generally should be pretty accurately determined.

A side note.  The proposed new part 35 allows for "...a combination of
volumetric measurements and calculations based on the manufacture's
measurements." as an acceptable method of determining dose.

Any opinions expressed are mine alone and do not necessarily represent those
of the Denver VA Medical Center, The Department of Veterans Affairs, or the
U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig
Radiation Safety Officer, VA Medical Center, 1055 Clermont St. Denver, CO
80220, ATTN; RSO MS 115
303-399-8020 ext. 2447, peter.vernig@med.va.gov [alternate
vernig.peter@forum.va.gov] Fax 303-393-5026 [8 - 4:30 MT service] Alternate
Fax 303-377-5686

"You win some, you lose some, and some get rained out." Y. Berra