rational tantrums

I read the correspondence below with a sigh.  Underlying is the unspoken
question, how could rational scientists be
anti-nuclear?  Maybe the answer lies not in nuclear power itself, but
its history of stonewalling PR and assertions that:
- accidents cannot happen and if they do happen they are due to human
error and are outlying data points,
- nuclear power is inherantly safe and cost effective.

For the longest time the nuclear industry has had a polarized friend or
foe mentality.  It has assumed that foes are either fools
or those who make or raise money based on the partisanship of the
fools.   Hence the suggestion below that UCS was only
anti-nuke to make money.  And, likewise, the statements I heard from
health physicists at the Boston annual mtg. of the Health
Physics Society some years ago that Karl Z. Morgan was only concerned
about health effects of radiation because he was a.
mentally unstable and b. he did it to gain hefty expert witness fees.

In this same vein, a spokesperson from the nuclear industry in
Massachusetts claims that government laboratory personnel
know that current clean up standards are irrational, that low levels of
radiation are good for you (hormeisis) in the 0-25 rads
level, and that all the government labs know this is true and are merely
supporting BEIR V to stay on the gravy train of
federally supported clean up programs.

Hence we have conspiracies on top of conspiracies.

How do we go beyond this mindset?

IMHO, we need to:
1. Educate the public about the facts and gray areas regarding nuclear
safety.
2. Provide honest and timely information that is dependible on radiation
safety and nuclear operations.
3. Support large scale studies that can help determine when and where
radiation exposure is a real health problem.
4. Stop character attacks on those who hold different opinions.
5. Come up with balanced educational materials that can create a class
of educated consumers and government officials that
can withstand irrational attacks because they are honest about the
strengths and problems inherant in nuclear power.

Best regards from a sometimes critic,

Dan Burnstein
(member of  Mass. Advisory Council on Radiation Protection; the above
comments represents only my personal opinion)

            RE: the RADSAFE tantrum re Lochbaum/NPR/UCS