RE: GM Counters in High Backgrounds

 Dru, certainly one would think the pulses would be additive, but in
actuality, the smear in the lowered background reads between 1K and 1.5k
cpm.  The instrument is calibrated to NBS standards and the CF is fairly
linear (0.1).  This appears to be an anomaly that the "road" HPs seem to see
everywhere they go when working with fairly high level smears.  When I speak
of high level, I am talking about the 200K-500Kdpm/100cm2 smears (CF
accounted for) taken usually on the platform and tools by primary Steam
Generator workers.  I have witnessed such occurrences on a regular basis
during Outages.  An example is a 200kdpm/100cm2 smear counted in the high
background actually reads between 180k to 250kdpm/100cm2 on a frisker in a
1kdpm background.  I have yet to account for this.  The Eberline folks don't
understand it either.  It's a standing joke in Containment during Outages
when a person gets a 12kdpm/100cm2 count in a 10kdpm background and calls it
"2k" that the individual is stuck with that name for the whole Outage until
he/she counts the smear in a much lower background and find it reading
between 12k and 15kdpm/100cm2.

I appreciate your input - Paul.