RE: GM Counters in High Backgrounds

Hi Paul. Long time since we worked generators together at Farley. I think it
was '95 - hurricane Opel outage. Sorry it took me so long to answer, I have
been too busy to keep up with my RADSAFE lately.

You are correct. I had the same discussion with a more experienced
rent-a-tech some time ago, after recording 5000 dpm/100cm2 on a smear survey
counted in a 2000 cpm background (similar 10% efficient frisker probe- 2000
cpm would be an assumed 20,000 dpm background given the same beta 10%
efficiency, but the background was from gamma.)

I insisted that since the background without the smear was 2000 cpm, to find
the net counts you simply subtracted it from the observed counts (in this
case observed counts with the smear plus background was 2500 cpm.) giving a
net 500 cpm. Well, the proof was in the pudding after we took the alleged
500 ncpm smear to a 100 cpm background and counted it again with the same
instrument..... Surprise, surprise, there were still 2500 cpm on that smear!

Although I was a liquid confectionary poorer, I was nonetheless a wiser
meter swinger because of it.

If you place a 5 mr/hr source next to a 2 mr/hr source, the dose rate meter
will not read 7 mr/hr. Saying a package is <0.2 mr/hr when it is measured
while standing in a 2 mr/hr field is ridiculous.

Charlie Migliore RRPT
mglc98@nspco.com

PS maybe I can use this for my masters thesis <LOL>