Re: Mindset

Ron Kathren wrote
<snip>
(Regarding radioactive waste, I reiterate what I have said many times =
before: no one wants a solution to the problem of high level nuclear =
waste disposal.  The activists don't want a solution, for it takes away =
their cause.  The industry and regulators don't want a solution, for it =
takes away their jobs.  The media don't want a solution, for they would =
lose a lot of good copy and sell fewer newspapers and lose audience =
share.  The politicians don't want a solution, for it likely would cost =
them votes.  The only ones who want a solution are the American public, =
and nobody seems to give a hoot about them!!!.)

<snip>

Having followed the path from Lyons, Kansas, to various and sundry
investigations of salt domes and bedded salt around the country and the
basalt and tuff studies, I made very similar arguments myself several decades
ago in discussions with Senator Mathias about taking the resolution of the
high-level waste management issue out of the hands of the operating
government agency and their contractors.   I would take only one exception to
the broad-brush Ron has applied to the players in the high level waste
"game";  unlike the government-contracted waste research and development
"industry", that segment of the "industry" that builds and operates nuclear
power plants DOES want a solution -- unless and until there one, the future
of nuclear power is bleak, at best, both here and abroad.   And that in turn
makes the likelihood of achieving greenhouse gas emission goals even lower
than it is at present.

Mort Goldman
(My own man)
MrtGoldman@aol.com