Re: Update (10/15): Status of patients from the JCO Criticality

Thank you Tosh for your valuable updates.

To Radsafers in general:
It seems in more general terms - regarding all those exposed (this morning
mention 69 people) - that it is important to get information about all the
estimated doses. The problem I see with the Swedish media (and some foreign
also) is that the lack of facts leaves room for deliberate vague use of
language that easily is misinterpreted. We heard for instance the other day
(in Sweden) that it has now been revealed that 22 more people have been
"radiation injured". What this means is unclear. And then we have the
terminology "xx persons have been exposed to radiation" or "xx people were
taken to hospital".

Little can be understood from this type of information - therefore it is
important to get estimated doses for all those regarded as exposed due to
the accident - including those who may have got trivial levels. As long as
we don't have some estimated facts - the speculative and vague massmedial
fallout continues.

I have occasionally checked English/Japanese "radiation sites" and news
media and must say that it is surprising (??) how little one can find. This
probably only causes a longterm negative aftermath (as opposed to a more
direct and fast information strategy). Reading Radsafers is in some ways
more informative than many of the tradiational sources.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com
The ideas above are mine and may not necessarily coincide by those of
others.