From: Zack Clayton <zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us>
To: Multiple recipients of list <radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
Sent: October 22, 1999 7:44 AM
Subject: Re:Old EPA 15 mrem/year

> Zack Clayton
> Ohio EPA - DERR
> email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us
> voice:  614-644-3066
> fax:        614-460-8249

> If EPA really considers 15 mrem "the same as" 20 mrem, then why are some
sites
> reporting NESHAPs doses out to five and six decimal places? Why not just
say
> zero? That certainly causes me to sit up and ask the question, "Then why
am I
> doing continuous air monitoring to see 1 mrem?" Doesn't make sense to me.
>
> Elizabeth Algutifan,
> Health Physicist
> Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project
> St. Charles, Missouri
> Elizabeth_Algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com
>

> Unfortunately, it doesn't have to make sense scientifically.  As much as I
dislike the idea, the USEPA is driven much more by politics than by science.
Therefore, on issues with high hot button readings it is driven by
politically correct ideology rather than demonstratable science.    In the
early years this was often parallel.  Now the hot button issues are running
counter to hard science and we are at one of those intersections of
political policy vs. rational science policy.   (Notice how emotionally
loaded those words are?)