RE: Ir-192 exposure in Peru

>A long time ago this was posted on radsafe.  I was wondering if >anyone
>heard any reports of what the final out come was to the >individual who put
>the source in his pocket.

A list of major radiation accidents (1945-1999) in the IAEA Bulletin
41/3/1999 gives the following:
1999 Peru, Iridium-192/radiography, up to 100 Gy locally;leg amputation. The
interpretation of the table must be that the individual survived.

The table covers about 100 radiation accidents and about 105 individuals who
have died as a direct rresult of these accidents. 28 of these individuals
represent the Chernobyl accident, 13 a cobalt 60 accident in Costa Rica in
1996.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com