From: steve.rima@DOEGJPO.COM [mailto:steve.rima@DOEGJPO.COM]
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 1999 3:13 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Patient Release - A Related Question

     RADSAFERs,

     In my last post on this topic, I asked a question that has bugged me
     for quite a while. Maybe someone out there can attempt to answer it.

     Most NRC and Agreement State licensees are subject to the 100 mrem/y
     limit for members of the public from their activities. In addition,
     there are some pretty strict public information requirements for many
     licensees, especially nuclear power plants, whereby they have to
     provide information on the calculated _theoretical_ dose, and the
     measured dose, that their plant is giving local residents. DOE sites
     have similar requirements. There are also _very_ strict limits on how
     much surface contamination is allowed to be released to the public on
     material released from their sites.

     Medical licensees, on the other hand, can now release a patient to the
     public so long as the _calculated_ dose to a member of the public is
     less than 500 mrem, and there is obviously no way to ever measure or
     confirm whether this was exceeded. There is also no requirement, nor
     attempts I've heard of, from hospitals to alert the local public that
     they may be randomly exposed to up to 500 mrem from their patients. We
     also know that a person with tens to hundreds of I-131 will
     contaminate everything they touch, usually to a level above what is
     releasable from other licensees, with no monitoring or public notice
     required.

     QUESTION: Why is there/should there be such a double standard??? I-131
     is I-131, whether from a hospital or power plant, and a mrem is a
     mrem, no matter the source, so why can hospitals do things that would
     get other licensees cited, fined, or even shut down? An argument can
     be made that residents near a power plant benefit from its operation,
     but I don't believe that the random member of the public exposed to a
     radioactive patient receives any benefit whatsoever.

     I'm NOT addressing patient care issues here. Dr. Marcus asserts that
     the NRC should stay completely out of that arena, and I totally agree
     with her on that point. However, this question has absolutely nothing
     to do with patient care and everything to do with consistency, or the
     lack thereof, in regulations regarding public dose limits and
     notification.

     Anybody care to take a stab at an answer to this?

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com