Potassium IoDATE (KIO3) question...

Radsafers,
Potassium Iodate (KIO3) is being sold as an alternative to KI
in U.S. for prophylactic use in thyroid blocking of radioiodine.

However, I haven't yet found anything that would substantiate
the claim for this application. (Searching the archives here
only shows a mention of it as not being preferred by some
because of potential stomach irritation.)

Has it been used successfully for this purpose? Is KIO3 now
stocked in Europe, or elsewhere, for this purpose? If so, what
is the preference, for it, where it has been used or stocked?

Is there any literature about it that anyone could point me to?

Thank you,
Shane Connor
P.S.- Thank you, too, for the many private e-mail responses re
Potassium Iodide Radiation Protection FAQ http://www.ki4u.com/