Re: NCRP/NRC recommendations on dose limits for hot particles

The issue has become moot since the new 10 CFR 20 took effect.  Under the
old 10 CFR 20, the dose limit to the skin was 7.5 rems per calendar
quarter.  There was a good chance of exceeding this dose from a hot
particle.  A typical "fuel flea" could give you this dose through your
protective clothing in less than an hour.  Thus, even though the risk from
exposure to a small surface area is minimal, this generated a reportable
event.  Under the new 10 CFR 20, the skin dose limit is 50 rems per year.
This is unlikely to be exceeded by a hot particle exposure.

The opinionx expressed are strictly mine.
It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com