Re: Patient Release - A Related Question

Stephen Mcguire wrote:

>       QUESTION: Why is there/should there be such a double standard??? I-131
>      is I-131, whether from a hospital or power plant, and a mrem is a
>      mrem, no matter the source, so why can hospitals do things that would
>      get other licensees cited, fined, or even shut down?
>
> Answer:  The answer to this question is given in NUREG-1492, "Regulatory Analysis on Criteria for the Release of Patients Administered Radioactive Material," 1997.  In brief, the use of the 500 mrem limit (which is provided for in NRC regulations and NCRP and ICRP recommendations under special circumstances when its use can be justified)  is justified as being a net benefit to society.

Steve, please put on RADSAFE the written justification that the NRC uses to show that the release of patients is a net benefit to society.  Include the value of a rem used in the calculation.

> The largest benefit is reduced hospitalization costs, the value of which was determined to exceed the detriment from radiation exposure.

Please put on RADSAFE the NRC's written determination that the reduced hospitalization costs esceed the detriment from radiation exposure.  Include the value of a rem used in the calculation.

> But even beyond that, if the "random member ofthe public"  has health insurance or pays Medicare taxes, they will benefit from lower premiums or taxes due to lower hospitalization costs.

Please put on RADSAFE the written NRC demonstration that the "random member of the public" benefits from lower premiums or taxes due to lower hospitaliztion costs.

> Thanks.  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net

begin:          vcard
fn:             Al Tschaeche
n:              Tschaeche;Al
org:            Nuclear Standards Unlimited
email;internet: antatnsu@postoffice.pacbell.net
title:          CEO
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: FALSE