Re: NCRP/NRC recommendations on dose limits for hot particles

Note that for Hot Particles, the interim guidance from NRC is that for  doses to the skin from hot particles on the skin, 50 Rem is only a reporting level. Because the health effect associated with Hot Particle dose on the skin is a small transient break in the skin with no or very little stochastic effects, the interim" limit" is  75 micro Ci-Hrs, which is about 300 Rad. Only one reported dose has ever exceeded that "limit", calculated to be about 500 Rad.

AKR@NRC.GOV

At 07:09 AM 11/4/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>The NRC is aware of only 6 hot particle doses that
>have exceeded the 50 Rem skin dose limit, out of more
>than 15,000 documented cases.

This demonstrates a large problem, not an insignificant one. Exceeding the
regulatory limit 6 times among 15,000 exposure opportunities is an
abundance of trouble. Imagine if 6 of every 15,000 TLD readings was over 5
rem! We'd all be in jail. And deserve to be.