What every dosimetry processor should be asked

John Laferriere broached an issue that has always amazed me
when  when addressing a facilities dosimetry needs. While I will
never address any dosimeter specifically, be it ours or another
processors, I will address what I believe all facilities should ask
their current processor, or another when considering providing
dosimetry processing requirements.

What I find most often is that a facility seems to be primarily
concerned with cost (expending most of their questions on that
topic) and very little in the area of technical basis or performance.
Often the only specification listed is that the processor must be
NVLAP accredited, or must meet some other accreditation
standard, besides ANSI N13.11-1993 (some still refer to the 1983
version, that has been updated quite a few years ago). What they
don't consider is that NVLAP means that a processor only meets
the minimum standards to be accredited. What a facility should be
asking are the same type of questions I as a NVLAP on-site
assessor asks when I assess a facility, or any other NVLAP
assessor may ask (there is always subjectivity in any
assessment). I would love to see the following performance
questions asked when I have to review a bid proposal. These are
the types of areas all facilities should be asking, be it of me, or any
other processor, whether they are internal or external processors:

(1) First and foremost ask for the NVLAP Proficiency Test results
for several years. While the NVLAP test is more controlled, if a
processor's results are excessive, consider that if this is the case
in a controlled test, under sterile conditions, be really concerned as
to how the processor will handle field type exposures, where there
are significant environmental and external factors affecting the dose
assessment. This is part of the quantitative assessment by the
facility, to ensure that the processor has tested, and performed
adequately in the various NIST Beam Code tests.

(2) Did the processor test in all of the appropriate categories
correlated to the facility radiation environment. Low-Energy X-ray
Category III is a specific test. However, did the facility only test in
the 70 to 122 keV ranges, or did they test the 15 to 122 keV range.
Depending on the Category III test determines the Category VI
mixture test (Low-Energy X-Ray + Cs-137 test).

(3) Dis they test Category V beta only high energy, or did they test
the low and high energy beta mixture. This affects the Category VII
mixture test (beta + Cs-137).

(4) NVLAP doesn't test (currently) beta + Low-Energy X-Ray, or
neutron and beta mixtures yet. This is tested within the DOELAP
standard, and will be coming to NVLAP to some degree during the
next revision (under consideration now).

(5) Ask for the past on-site assessment reports and any responses
sent back to NVLAP (if there were any). This is the qualitative
NVLAP assessment, differed from the proficiency qunatitative
assessment.

(6) Ask the processor for their technical basis for their program.

(7) Ask for LLD calculations for the dosimeters to be used.

(8) Ask for the overall system measurement uncertainty for the
dosimeters to be used.

(9) Ask for the calibration standards used.

(10) Ask for what external factors that might affect the dosimeter
response (chemical, heat, moisture, neutron environment -
especially if not monitoring for neutron).

(11) Is dosimeter fading incorporated in the dose assessment
process.

(12) How are anomalies determined that mitigates an erroneous or
questionable dose being reported to the customer. Being proactive
is a key technical ingredient.

(13) How are background subtracted when no control is returned.

(14) How are chemical processes monitored to identify systematic
changes, predominantly film and CR39.

(15) What is the confirmatory measurements program in place.

(16) How are on-line QCs used, read and are they used to
normalize doses.

(17) What are the process and outcome indicators tracked and
assessed to determine systematic issues and areas for
improvement.

(18) How is the maintenance program managed.

These are just simple types of factors that all processors should be
asked, based on how much information the user is concerned with.
As I stated at the outset, cost and being NVLAP accredited are
important, but read between the lines. You'll be more confident in
the results you receive from whomever does your processing.