Food safety

The spinmeisters are at it again, trying to avoid the "R" word in any way possible.  I was asked about this article at Science Daily Magazine  http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/11/991109072728.htm

The article contains no falshoods, but has an interesting spin to aboid describing the process as a radiation treatment.  quoted in part below:

. . ..  Unklesbay has been the principal food scientist for the development
              of electron beam, or "E-beam," technology since 1995. That is when
              electrical engineering professor Randy Curry came to MU, bringing
              with him an accelerator. The high-powered accelerator is a type of
              cathode ray tube, similar to that found in a conventional television set.

  . . .. In essence, the process of cold pasteurization is relatively simple.
              Once the linear accelerator is activated, electrons are accelerated
              down a tube. With a flip of a switch, the accelerator then propels the
              electrons at high speeds, creating an "E-beam." When this invisible
              beam hits the E. coli, it interacts with the microbe's DNA, deactivating it.

. . .. "At first, cold pasteurized products at the grocery store will be
              labeled as 'irradiated,' but the term should not worry consumers. It is
              simply the term that the USDA requires," Unklesbay said. "The
              process is non-nuclear, and we're working to have cold pasteurized
              products labeled as such to avoid confusion." Curry believes new
              accelerators will make the process less expensive to commercialize.. . .

When is a beta not a beta?  When its a cold pasturization process.  I guess form does follow function.

Just my thotz after having to explain to a confused person.

Zack Clayton
Ohio EPA - DERR
email:  zack.clayton@epa.state.oh.us
voice:  614-644-3066