Re[2]: Irradiated milk to be available in Feb 2000

     I guess I don't see this the same way as some RADSAFERS. While the
     term "cold pasteurization" sounds better than "irradiated" and will
     certainly help with public acceptance, I don't see it as a way to
     "trick the public" any more than lots of other similar examples. We
     don't say that medical equipment or barber's shears are "exposed to
     non-ionizing radiation" when they are sterilized with UV. We don't
     address the specific process used in heat pasteurization, we just say
     that it's pasteurized. Heck, if we're going to be this picky about not
     "tricking the public," let's start calling it "injecting people with
     radioactive material" instead of "nuclear medicine." ;-)

     How about it hospital RSO's, would you rather start calling it
     "injecting people with radioactive material" and take the opportunity
     to educate the masses who would question it, or continue saving lives
     and calling it nuclear medicine?

     Tongue firmly in cheek.....

     Steven D. Rima, CHP, CSP
     Manager, Health Physics and Industrial Hygiene
     MACTEC-ERS, LLC
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com