Re: RADSAFE digest 2753

The bottom line for the public is whether the nuclear industry can be trusted to safely
operate the technology.  Not only have there been enough incidents to convince them
otherwise, but also the industry makes it worse by going into denial.  The argument that
no one was hurt, so why the fuss is equivalent to running a stop sign and saying that
since there was no accident, you shouldn't get a  citation.  The concern is not this
time, but what will happen the next time you run a stop sign.

The one success story in this business, the Nuclear Navy, got that way by convincing the
public that they take every photon and every mrem seriously, and that they have zero
tolerance for error.

It's not about dose, it's about trust.

Bill Lipton
liptonw@dteenergy.com