Web to db in rad safety

Here is the extremely long-overdue compilation of responses to my
inquiry about rad safety offices using Web to database programs for
radiation safety program management.  A summary is supposed to show up
in the HP Journal at some point as well.  My apologies to those who
receive this twice; I have sent a copy to RADSAFE and a copy to each
person who requested one.

(Still working on that compilation of radiation permit responses - we
STILL haven't settled on a format here for permits.)

=====
Lawrence Burke:

We have used a database to web system for our site Health Physics
Technician
Log Book.  The technicians log their work either on a handheld personal
data
assistant (the 3-Com Palm Pilot) or by using an input form on the Web.
In
either case, the log entries are transferred to a central database
server
running Microsoft SQL.  To transfer from the handheld Palm Pilots, the
techs
place the unit in a tray and push one button.  The whole process is
automated.  Access to the Log Book is through a web browser and is
limited
to need-to-know personnel by account numbers and password login.  By
placing
the log entries in a database, we can pull up log enries by technician,
facility, date or in any combination.  In addition, a word search
capability
is provided to find specific jobs.  Now the staff, management and DOE
personnel who can review log book entries of all the sites radiological
work
from their offices.

The code was generated by a summer student intern I mentored two years
ago
in 11 weeks.  While the student worked on the project full time, I was
only
able to provide help and direction for about 8 hours a week.  Much of
this
work was in synchronizing the handheld units with the database.  A pure
web
based application should be very easy to generate.  Microsoft Access
allows
you to develop the whole database system in Access and then wizards help
generate the HTML and Active Server Pages.  There are also wizards to
export
the Access Database to Microsoft SQL.
====
Geoffrey Daley/Linda Sewell:

> I've written the interface for accessing the dose information, and I will
> fine-tune it once the stored procedure is completed by C&TS.  All we are
> providing at this point is ASP-based (written in VBScript) form for
> individual rad workers to retrieve their YTD and Lifetime dose, and if the
> gods smile upon me, a calculated dose margin.
====
Vince Bishop (super db guy!):

Survey documentation, including imbedded, editable, survey maps and air
sample calculations
Survey Scheduling
Radiation Source Inventory
Radiological Work Permits (soon to be working with an electronic
dosimeters)
Radiological Event Reporting
Direct Reading Dosimetry and TLD Dose Tracking
Radiological Area Inventory
Radiological Worker Training
Customer Satisfaction Surveys
Procedure Review and Comment
Fixed Air Monitor Reports
Required Reading
Regulatory Compliance Matrix
Survey Instrument Tracking

We use Windows NT servers, Microsoft IIS, and Allaire's Cold Fusion.
Data
is written to and retrieved from MS Access, MS SQL Server, Oracle,
Excel,
and FoxPro databases.
====
Bill Schadt:

CHAMMP for Windows comes with CHAMMP on the Web.
====

--
Melissa Woo, Health Physicist <mailto:m-woo@uiuc.edu>
Div. of Environmental Health & Safety