Subject: RE: cold pasteurization
Author:  Bob Flood <bflood@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> at Internet
Date:    11/10/99 3:21 PM

At 02:20 PM 11/10/1999 -0600, you wrote:
>My Webster's Ninth "pastuerization" defn 2 is "partial sterilization of
>perishable food products (as fruit or fish) with radiation (as gamma rays)"
>Seems that use of pastuerization in this context is correct.

This is interesting - I was unaware of this definition, but I can confirm
it also appears in Webster's 10th edition as well. In that context, the
term is not (legally?) misleading or deceptive, but I can't help but wonder
if the ardent anti-radiation types will be much impressed. They might still
bombard the press with the idea that it's food irradiation hiding behind
the name "pasteurization."

I have never heard the term "pasteurization" used to describe food
irradiation before this. Is this perhaps used elsewhere in the
English-speaking world, and is simply unfamiliar to Americans? Or am I the
only one who missed it?