RE: brain function and vision

	Responding to the list in case others are interested...

	>While the brain is fairly radioresistant, does anyone have any
insights into
	>what brain functions might be impaired in individuals exposed to
radiation
	>similar to those exposed near the criticality accident in Japan?  I
am
	>thinking of multiple step and information processing, learning?

	Well I am certainly no expert, but I can tell you that my wife
received over 6000 rads for a brain tumor using a linear accelerator, and
she has not experienced any impairment other than hair loss.  This was a 3
beam localized treatment so the whole brain was not irradiated as was done
just a couple of years ago.

> What about vision? Would any effects be expected?

	Vision is a concern for therapy doses, and they take special care to
limit dose to the optic nerve.  This is one reason why the Gamma Knife was
developed and is used for tumors close to the optic nerve and other tumors
in sensitive areas.  At a dose of 1700 rem though, I would doubt that you
would have this problem.  Cataracts will be of much greater concern I would
imagine.

	You may wish to contact a radiation oncologist for more detailed
information.

	Regards,

	Greg