Re: Senate Panel Seeks Y2K Nuke Plant Contingency Plans

At 01:22 PM 11/16/99 -0600, you wrote:
>lets hope that the chemical industries are as well prepared as the nukes.
In a worst case nuke scenario, the plant will trip off line and shut
down....will a critical valve fail on a chemical plant due to a Y2K issue
and release all that nice, tasty chlorine gas? and has anybody paid any
attention to those industries or to the oil refineries?    I don't
understand why we health physics professionals are so intent on continuing
to play into the media & general public's notion that anything nuclear is
inherently dangerous...while everything else is overlooked or considered a
"oh never mind" issue.   as professionals, lets put some reason into all of
this!
>   clearly these are only my opinions and do not reflect the opinions of my
employer.
>            PA Milligan   pxm@nrc.gov

>Steve,
>
>That would definitely be the final blow. However, knowing the efforts
>that went into validation of Y2K fixes, I feel pretty confident that
>the industry will do very well. I am not as confident in some of the
>foreign nuclear establishments, as well as other industries within
>the US. They did not receive the same attention as we in the nuclear
>industry did. This is primarily due to one factor used by Se. Bennett
>in his request, stating that the NRC had continually provided
>updates, but, and I quote: We are concerned, however, about the lack
>of public confidence in the nuclear industry's efforts and specific
>post Dec. 31, 1999, operating regimes...'' said the letter, from
>Bennett to NRC Chairman Greta Joy Dicus." This is alla bout the
>public's confidence, and not the reality of what has been
>accomplished. Is the Senate now going to take on every industry where
>there is public distrust or lack of confidence, when evidence exists
>that there are in fact no problems?
>
>> We should also be very hopeful that there is no significant problem at
>>      any nuke plant due to Y2k, or the entire industry's effort at
>>      convincing the public that nuclear energy is viable will be destroyed,
>>      as would the credibility of the industry and the NRC.

>Sander C. Perle     Tel:(714) 545-0100 / (800) 548-5100
>Director, Technical    Extension 2306
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Division  Fax:(714) 668-3149
>ICN Biomedicals, Inc.    E-Mail: sperle@icnpharm.com

>ICN Plaza, 3300 Hyland Avenue    E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net

>Costa Mesa, CA 92626
>
>Personal Website:  http://www.geocities.com/scperle
>ICN Worldwide Dosimetry Website: http://www.dosimetry.com

Dear Radsafers:

Clearly, the NRC needs a hostile takeover by a Milligan clone!  Good
thoughts, Pat.

Ciao, Carol
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>
!