Re: Q: Historical Criticality Accident in 1945

>the same pieces, which caused Daghlians death) coming close >together,
>using a screwdriver (!!!!) as his instrument of >determining the distance
>of the two spheres. When the screwdriver >distance holder failed a chain
>reaction occurred.

OK, I read the screw driver as a kid around 1960, it was probably in
Readerīs Digest (!) in some issue of the early 1950:ies - I just didn't
remember a name (Slotin) for this accident. What confused me was that the
recent IAEA source I had probably gave "Los Alamos 1945/1946" in a table - I
don't have available at this moment - it seemed like one accident but now -
from what several of you have written - it is clear that we are dealing with
two independent events. Thanks also to those of you who responded directly.

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com