Re: Thyroid cancer?

At 02:28 PM 11/23/99 -0600, you wrote:
>Does any radsefer know what are other substances (radioactive or stable)
>that could cause thyroid cancer (other than the radioactive Iodine)?
>
>Thanks,,
>
>--
>Khalid Aleissa
>e-mail: kaleissa@kacst.edu.sa

Dear Radsafers:

Thyroid cancer is increased in incidence in damaged thyroid glands.  Common
causes of damage are Graves' disease and Hashimoto's thyroiditis.  Both are
chronic autoimmune diseases.  I-131 is an unlikely cause of thyroid cancer,
despite perceptions otherwise.

Ciao, Carol

Carol S. Marcus, Ph.D., M.D.
<csmarcus@ucla.edu>