Japanese nuclear accident: Did the reaction oscillate?

Several early information sources about the Japanese nuclear accident said
that the nuclear reaction oscillated. I find this puzzling when looking at
the neutron dose rate measurements in the surroundings (IAEA report a few
weeks ago). My quetion is: How can a neutron dose rate be sustained at
approximately the same level for hours after a criticality accident?

I realize that there may be (if so, probably a very small fraction of)
radionuclides that emit neutrons after a fission event - but if so - which
ones would they be? Or was it an accident where - after the initial Cerenkov
flash - the nuclear reaction was continuing in some more balanced mode? (I
assume that the neutron dose rate measured in the surroundings outside the
building essentially came from the direct source - rather than from any
released, minor fission product).

As the information stands I question the oscillatory mode description.

Please comment or clarify my thoughts here,

Bjorn Cedervall   bcradsafers@hotmail.com