RE: High-level MRS (the acceptable political solution)?

There is no way the anti-nucs or environmentalists will let you deep six
anything radioactive. In middle 1980's the US Navy wanted to deep six
several de-commissioned nuclear missile submarines in a trench in Pacific
(approx 3 miles deep). All those environ. & anti-nucs howled & forced the
Navy to return each submarine to dry dock & cut out the Reactor Compartment
& barge same to Hanford & bury them. No spent fuel involved here just
radioactive components. So Forget about the Ocean.
PS I was a Nuclear Ship Superintendent at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in
Bremerton Washington during this timeframe. I cut up the Robert E. Lee,
Thomas Edison, & Ethan Allen

Bill Wright
Radiation Safety Officer
Texas Tech University