Re: Nuclear Waste Paradox

I wonder if all of the various issues could be metaphorically speaking put on
the table through a process of public dialogue.  Thusly, an educated lay
population can think about trade-offs regarding cost, safety, distance, danger,
benefits and so forth.  In this fashion trust building occurs as real risks are
revealed, as real benefits are considered, and as real costs are considered.

Given the $200-600 billion dollars slated for clean up the average thinking
citizens might think twice about what that will buy versus very expensive
solutions now planned for weapons sites.  If I had a meaningful choice between
making Hanford pristine or having new schools in urban centers, new roads,
bridges, affordable housing, and affordable health care...hmmmm.

For this to work there needs to be a shared vocabulary, a range of reasonable
risks to the various types of exposure.  At least in Mass. there is the
beginning of a dialogue about what is a meaningful use of KI.  It is a start.