Re: Nasal Treatment with RF?- vs. Nasal Radium/X-rays "Historic"

I wish to thank Bill Field for his many thoughtful contributions to various
radsafe threads. My only thought in replying to his original comment on this
thread [to which he replies in the copy below] was to be sure readers
realized that many of the individuals treated with either NRI or x-rays were
treated in the not so distant past.

It is also clear than x-ray treatment of tonsils and adenoids exposed those
treated for a benign health condition to a wider field of exposure albeit at
a much reduced total exposure than the NRI treatment. X-ray treatments to the
head and neck of young children have been recognized following numerous
published studies of their effect on thyroid cancer [since the 1950s] and
thyroid disease, and responded to in NCI/NIH health advisories to physicians
and the public in the 1970s.

NRI treatments [vs. x-rays] exposed local tissues in the nasopharynx to a
uniquely elevated dose [minimum 20 Gy] with rapidly declining doses with
distance, making NRI use in children and young adults a unique outlier in
terms of any medical treatment used to treat a benign condition. This
extremely non-homogeneous dose delivered by NRI treatments make risk
estimates to the brain and other structures in the head and neck for NRI vs.
risk factors derived from  x-ray treatments for tinea capitis for example,
very difficult if not impossible. This is why NRI exposure to a best estimate
of one-million children from post WWII into the 1970s such a unique
biomedical opportunity and issue which has been and continues to be ignored
and misrepresented by the US CDC and major medical institutions  vs. existing
epidemiological data about its malignant and non-malignant health effects.

BTW, on this point I had mentioned in posts some time back that a Ph.D.
thesis had been completed and awarded in June 1997 at Johns Hopkins School of
Public Health titled "Cancer Incidence of Childhood Nasopharyngeal Radium
Irradiation" authored by H.C. Yeh. This study of schoolchildren documented a
highly statistically significant "Adjusted Relative Risk" for combined and
malignant brain tumors in treated children of 30.9 vs controls [Based on 3
malignant and 4 benign brain tumors in the treated group of 650 treated
individuals tracked vs. 0 cases in the control group].

At the time of my earlier post about 6 months ago on the point about the
actions of Hopkins on this issue at the time,  I mentioned that Yeh's thesis
was available for order from the UMI Thesis Service in Ann Arbor, MI.
Following some national news coverage about the NRI issue in late July 1999
including a report from the VA that submariners who had received NRI on
entering the sub service displayed an excess head and neck cancer rate of
about 46% [although declared "not statistically significant"] Johns Hopkins
took the unusual step of declaring Yeh's 1997 Ph. D. thesis as being "not
available without permission of author" and asked UMI to attempt to recall
out earlier copies of Yeh's thesis which it had sold openly as it does
routinely with every Ph.D thesis awarded  in the US since 1861. I received a
call from UMI asking me to return my copy [although they generously offered
to provide me another thesis of my choice! or a refund]  and a library in
Warren, VT which had purchased another copy for me at my request,  also got a
call from UMI asking to return their purchased copy, obtained in Sept. 1998,
at the request of Hopkins.

Readers can draw their own conclusions about why Johns Hopkins, one of the
premier Public Health Schools in the nation, would wish to keep from the
scientific community a   two year old published Ph.D. thesis documenting
excess health effects from a medical procedure they developed and popularized
in human radiation experiments during WWII on submariners and aviators, and
widely extended to the civilian population after WWII.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
Director - Radium Experiment Assessment Project
172 Old Orchard Way
Warren, VT 05674

Phone/FAX: (802) 496-3356
E-mail: RadiumProj@cs.com <A HREF="RadiumProj@cs.com">Click here to send
E-mail to REAP</A>
Web site: http://www.delphi.com/carsreap <A
HREF="http://www.delphi.com/carsreap";>Click here for REAP Website</A>

The Radium Experiment Assessment Project is a project
of the Center for Atomic Radiation Studies, Inc., a not-for-profit 501(c)(3)
organization. Contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by law.

In a message dated 11/30/99 6:28:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, FIELDRW@aol.com