RE: Dose Rates vs. Altitude

It is well known, that cosmic radiation exists - it has been demonstrated
already in the thirties (if I remember textbooks correctly) by Hess, who
measured it, ascending with his instruments by balloons.

Cosmic radiation has been the target of much research. As well has the dose
to airplane crew and passengers carefully been researched and published. I
remember quite a few papers in Health Physics, from where they can be
easily retrieved. I think to remember one paper which intensively discussed
the influence of latitude and also one discussing the influence of solar
flares. The supersonic Concorde is even equipped with a dose rate meter in
order to detect solar flares influence, which demands the crew to go to
lower altitude, but I think to remember that this has been mentioned at
RADSAFE before. The European Union has issued legislation on that matter. A
large number of papers has been presented at various conferences, for
instance at the Natural Radiation Environment - Conference in Salzburg.

I admit that it is fascinating to watch a dose rate meter, when the
airplane is climbing to cruising altitude, but this cannot be "research".
Only systematic measurements can help and they have obviously been done. I
do not understand why a pressurized ion chamber is needed for measurements
- I had the impression that all airplanes, also the ones flying from
Germany to Israel, had a pressurized cabin. I really would not like to fly
at an altitude of 10 000 m in a non pressurized cabin - would you? Whatever
you measure with any dose rate meter will not give you the actual dose. The
weighting factors for neutrons, myons and other particles seem to be still
a matter of discussion, as well as the problems arising from space flight
to astronauts.

I think that one should refer to the actual research, the published papers
and the legislation rather than to speculations without background.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna