RE: GM calibration question

To All:

In about 1960, Sam Hurst and Brian Wagner, ORNL Health Physics Division,
solved this problem by using a thin graded tin and lead filter around the
sensitive area of the tube. This reduced the peaked low-energy response and
resulted in a response protortional to roentgens over a wide energy range.
The initial application was for rather elevated radiaiton fields, so the
first GM tube to be used was a small Phillips halogen quenched tube. Later,
John Thorngate and Phil Perdue (also ORNL) extended the filter to larger
tubes and we used it for many applications. At least a few companies offer
this compensated tube in today's catalogs, for example the Eberline HP-270,
HP-290, and the HP-300 are commercially available. I am sure the other
leading instrumentation firms also have this type tube.

Fred Haywood