Von: server@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu [mailto:server@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu]Im
Auftrag von Franz Schoenhofer
Gesendet: Samstag, 4. Dezember 1999 23:52
An: Multiple recipients of list
Betreff: Bones, Antlers, C-14

Hi all,

Maybe there is one or more radsafers who can answer one or more of the
following questions:

The age of bones is usually determined by extracting collagen and measuring
the C-14 content by AMS. I wonder whether there is not enough carbonate in
bones to liberate CO2, convert it to benzene and measure it by LSC.

My questions: What is the calcium-carbonate content of bones? Does anybody
know what it is in antlers (both in spongiosa and compacta)? Has anybody
measured C-14 in recent bones (from the fifties to nowadays)? I hardly dare
to ask whether there is any work known regarding the determination of age
of antlers by C-14.

Any answers or hints to publications are welcome.

Franz

Franz Schoenhofer
Habicherg. 31/7
A-1160 Vienna