Tokaimura - include me-what's going on

>  Tosh,
> Please include me on the medical status updates.

	Let's take a look at what's going on here.

	The people on RADSAFE who object to the patient updates are
objecting not because they find the postings objectionable in themselves.
They object apparently because they feel that the act of making the status
of these patients public is objectionable.  THEREFORE there is really no
difference in posting them on RADSAFE and posting them out to the
(seemingly) several hundred people who have requested private updates.  As
I've said before, this knowledge is in the public domain already.  If people
find this objectionable, they should complain to the owner of the web site
that posts it.  As long as the updates on RADSAFE are clearly labelled (or
'labeled' - let's not start that one again) as such, people are free to
delete them without having to read them, if they so prefer.

	What we are asking this poor man to do is sort through hundreds of
emails and copy/paste hundreds of addresses into what will become
effectively a listserver dedicated to Tokaimura patient status.  People who
object to the updates on RADSAFE, logically should object to the mere
existence of this list.

	I've been on several radiation safety courses in my time, and each
one has featured a slide show of various horrific radiation injuries.  I
guess that this is a feature of such courses the world over.  Do people
object to such things?  Have all the patients starring in such presentations
given their permission?

	There's no logical difference between posting the updates on RADSAFE
and creating a separate mailing list for them.  So I'd say carry on sending
them to RADSAFE.   They're certainly more 'on topic' than about 50% of
RADSAFE messages and more international in their value than about 95%.  But
if either the patients themselves, or their close family, object to the web
site, or the postings, then they should stop.

	Regards

	Keith Bradshaw

	END

NNC Limited