Re: LNT theories - Which model??

December 10, 1999
Davis, CA

I think that it would be scientifically beneficial if Prof. Cohen would
prepare and publish a test of the BEIR VI (Lubin) model relating radon
exposures in homes to lung cancer incidence. The relevant BEIR VI (Lubin)
model is not calibrated on uranium miner data (although it does not
markedly conflict with those data), but is based on a meta-analysis of
published case-control studies of lung cancer cases versus radon exposure
levels. Since the BEIR VI model is presented as a straight line on semi-log
paper, it would appear to be an exponential model rather than a LNT model.

Perhaps Dr. Field could comment on the analytical method used by BEIR VI
(J. Lubin) to develop their model. I am particularly concerned about the
valdity of the assumptions made by Lubin concerning the independent
variable (radon level) in the regression analysis used to fit that model.

Otto

		Prof. Otto G. Raabe, Ph.D., CHP
              Institute of Toxicology & Environmental Health (ITEH)
		   (Street address: Building 3792, Old Davis Road)
		University of California, Davis, CA 95616
		Phone: 530-752-7754  FAX: 530-758-6140
		E-mail ograabe@ucdavis.edu