Re[2]: Ra, 25 mrem/y

     Dan,

     The NCRP (Report 93?) says that the annual average background dose for
     a person in the U.S. is 360 mrem from all sources, with about 200 mrem
     of that from radon. It's higher in Colorado due to the higher altitude
     and the much higher concentration of naturally occurring uranium in
     the soil of the region. When we're talking about average background
     (no occupational exposure) it includes both environmental and man-made
     sources. The majority is from "environmental" sources, including
     cosmic, terrestrial and internal. So, if you lived where I do, and
     received absolutely no occupational radiation exposure, you would
     receive about 400 mrem/y. That's what I (and I believe most others)
     consider to be background.

     BTW, Colorado has the highest average elevation, and a high
     concentration of natural uranium in the soil, so it has one of the
     highest average annual background doses in the U.S., yet it has one of
     the lowest cancer rates in the country. Just one more reason that I
     don't personally put much faith in the LNT at low doses. (Yes, I know
     that doesn't prove anything to some of you due to the problems with
     "environmental studies," but how come we can't find large
     "environmental studies" that *support* the LNT at low doses???)

     flames welcomed; privately of course :-)

     Steve
     steven.rima@doegjpo.com