University of Michigan Radiological Health Program

We have had a number of calls since Dan Marx informed
the Radsafe network that the Radiological Health Program
at the University of Michigan School of Public Health
will soon be non-existent.  But, as many of you know,
the University has a companion program in the Department of
Nuclear Engineering and Radiological Sciences under the
leadership of Professor Kim Kearfott; therefore, at the
we are encouraging students interested in health physics
instruction at the University to contact her.  The School
of Public Health will not admit any new students in
Radiological Health but will assume that existing MS and PhD
students will finish their degree programs.

The Radiological Health Program at the University of Michigan
has endured longer than most, if not all, such programs, but has,
as in many Schools of Public Health, lost priority in public
health and environmental science.  Consequently, when I (Martin)
announced phased retirement a few months ago, it became clear
to David Hamby that the School would not replace me, and when
Oregon State University showed the wisdom and vision to offer him
a tenured position with the committed and supportive staff, he
decided to move on.  Oregon's gain is Michigan's loss, and
although it troubles many of those who have had a close association
with our program, the fact of life is that it is coming to an end.
I will support Kim Kearfott's program in the Engineering College
in whatever ways she finds useful for at least the next few years.
Academic health physics will continue at the University of
Michigan; it just won't be in the School of Public Health.

Your support of our efforts has made it worthwhile, and we
thank you for it.

James E. Martin, PhD, CHP
Associate Professor of
    Radiological Health