Calibratiion using a 25 mm source vs. a 47 mm smear

A RP Calibration Tech brought up the issue of using a 25 mm source to calibrate
instruments reading a 47 mm smear.  The question is:  What is the impact ?  I
have searched the archives and haven't found the answer to the question.
References are also requested so that the justification (or lack thereof) can be
documented.  My gut feeling tells me that it won't make a difference due to the
distribution, method of smearing, etc., but I can't seem to find the reference
to back me up.

Please respond to me directly at ledbetterc@nimo.com unless you feel the list
would benefit.

Cindy Ledbetter