From: Estabrooks, Bates [mailto:Bates.Estabrooks@rfets.gov]
Sent: Thursday, December 16, 1999 10:05 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Beta-gamma Surveys in High Backgrounds

Rocky Flats is beginning Characterization Surveys in several buildings
which
will eventually be stripped out and torn down.  We need to do surveys
for
b-g emitters ("decay modes other than alpha emission. . .")  i.a.w. Doe
Order 5400.5 Table IV-1 limits (5000/15000 dpm/100cm2)

These buildings, in many locations, have high gamma backgrounds (4K-60K
cpm
read on an NE Electra w/ DP6) which will make it difficult to perform
direct
b-g surveys.  The background is largely due to TRU waste drums in the
areas,
and due to Pu/Am residues in nearby glove box lines.

Does anyone have any elegant suggestions on instrumentation, or
otherwise,
on how to deal with this?

Thanks.

Bates Estabrooks