RE: "Scientific misconduct"/ IOM Report

As the author of a rather scathing review of the NAS/IOM report, I must take
slight exception with Carol's comments:

The IOM report was extremely flawed in that it was mainly a history and
commentary with very little supporting data or analysis.  Basically, the
recommendations were not supported by the information in the report.  In
fact, it's recommendations were so obviously biased against the NRC as to
make it impossible for the NRC to accept the report.  Who knows, that may
well have been the intent of the IOM (since it allows Carol and other's such
wonderful ammunition).  Regardless of intent (and this has been refuted by
several of the authors), the document LOOKS like it was a pre-planned
assassination job, not a considered review.

Note that I substantially agree with large portions of the IOM's (and
Carol's) recommendations.  As such, I was extremely disappointed in the IOM
because they had a chance to "get things fixed" and instead pushed through a
non-credible document. Also note that several recommendations require major
changes that CAN NOT happen in 5 years (but maybe could in 10 - if properly
handled) - one can't ignore legislative reality no matter how much one
dreams of Utopia.

NOTE:  I think Carol believes in a paired solution that often gets
separated: (1) Only allow extremely qualified physicians (e.g., Board
Certified in Nuc Med) to direct the use of radioactive material in humans;
and (2) get out of their way.  Also note that most statutes of radiation
protection require agency's to protect workers, the public and the
environment.  This is the fundamental contention that must be worked out.

Wes

Wesley M. Dunn, CHP
International Isotopes, Inc.
Wdunn@intiso.com <mailto:Wdunn@intiso.com>