[Fwd: SOURCE IDENTIFICATION]

We have found two radium sources within the last few months at two
different scrap yards.  I am asking any RadSafers to help identify how
the sources were used and with what kind of equipment.  Also, any
information about their construction would be of help.

Each source consists of two parallel plates about 1/2 to 3/4 inch wide
and about 4 to 5 inches long with a spacer at each end about 1/2 to 3/4
inch thick.  At one end there is a 90 degree mounting bracket with a
hole to attach to some type of device.  The radium appears to be on the
inside of each plate.  We estimate the activity to be about 3 mCi or
less.  One source leaked and contaminated the inside of a junked car but
the other source did not show any signs of leakage on scrap nearby.

I have a digital picture to send to anyone who might have any
information about these sources.  The sources are not exactly the same
but very close to the same design.  My concern is that more of these
sources might show up in scrap metal at a scrap yard.  If we knew how
they were used it might give us a clue as to what industry to look at
for additional sources.  Both sources were found in the same general
area in North Carolina.  We think these sources were used to remove
static from some type of process (thread, film, tape, etc.).  Remember
we have a lot of mills in North Carolina (many have been put out of
business within the last few years).  Any ideas will be appreciated.

Please e-mail me at mailto:jjames@mindspring.com   or

    mailto:Johnny.James@ncmail.net  or call me at 919-571-4141.

Thanks

Johnny James