X rays, high altitude, and floppy disks

Hello All;

I recently got a question from a software distributor regarding
radiation effects on the software they distribute overseas (out of the
US).  Their observation is that approximately 1 in 5 floppy diskettes
are damaged while being shipped overseas; this problem does not occur in
domestic shipments.  They assumed that the damage is caused by x rays
used by customs inspection.  The damage is usually on the diskettes
closest to the exterior of the package, and they say that wrapping their
disks in aluminum foil eliminates the problem.

Based on threads regarding radiation at high altitudes, my guess is that
the long flight at high altitude might be a more likely culprit.

Can anyone confirm of correct me?

Thanks in advance,

Paul R. Steinmeyer
Radiation Safety Associates, Inc.