RE: Radiographers

Title: RE: Radiographers

As a former industrial radiographer and now a state regulator actively involved in oversight of radiographers, I can't resist a comment or two.

First off, the description of the nature of radiography work you were given is right on the money.  Long hours and high doses are the norm, with >1 rem/yr not uncommon.  A study of this cohort would be fraught with confounding factors, however.  Tobacco, alcohol and recreational drug use is very high, as is exposure to all manner of workplace carcinogens (asbestos and every other chemical you can think of).  Worst of all, researchers could never account for the how often workers removed their personnel monitors in order to keep their doses low enough to continue working or to prevent their employers and the regulators from discovering that they have been overexposed.  The inaccuracy of the dosimetry records would lead to conclusions based on lower doses than were actually received, thereby biasing the results.

The radiographer's comment that he believes that his chronic exposures are keeping his prostrate cancer in check is not surprising considering the typically poor training these guys get in the fundamentals of radiation safety and the biological effects of radiation.  Much more disturbing was the idea of a doctor failing to prescribe medical treatment due to the individual's occupational exposures. Surely the doctor doesn't believe that since the radiographer is working with iridium-192 and is receiving chronic low level whole body exposures, that such exposures are an adequate substitute for an Ir-192 brachytherapy treament directed at the prostate?  If the radiographer's cancer has not spread as he claimed, I would have to suspect that the power of positive thinking has a lot more to do with it than the occupational dose being delivered (or maybe he just cranks the source out on himself evey now and then; I've seen these guys do crazier things).

Finally, while I would have to agree that the life of a radiographer is "interesting," that sure isn't the first term that comes to mind when I reflect on my years in the field.  Brutal hours, horrible work conditions, inadequate pay, and lots of travel to less than appealing locations (ever been to Moss Point, MS or Pine Hill, AL?  I don't recommend either one) are the highlights.  Can't say that I would recommend it as a career choice.

Walter Cofer
Florida Bureau of Radiation Control
Tallahassee, FL

Walter_Cofer@doh.state.fl.us