From: Lavera, Ron [mailto:Ron.Lavera@nypa.gov]
Sent: December 22, 1999 1:25 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Biological Response to Radiation

There was a recent event involving a radiographer that had an indication of
about 75 Rem on his film badge.  The level of exposure was evidently
determined a month or two after the job had ended and the individual had
been terminated.

With that history, the questions I have are essentially about the biological
indicators that would be effective in determining the actual magnitude of
the received dose.   I am aware that books like Cember's Introduction to
Health Physics and the Radiological Health Handbook have graphs and tables
that discuss the Hemopoietic Syndrome.  I am also aware that under certain
circumstances that careful blood work can determine acute exposures in the 7
to 15 Rem range.

My question really is this; Which of these methods are effective for
determining the accumulated dose for two conditions :

   1 )  Two months after an acute 75 Rem exposure
-	Would chromosomal anomalies still be present ?  Would they  be
distinguishable enough from normal fluctuations for
accurate dose determination
-	Would acute hemopoietic syndrome symptoms like Leucocyte depression
be evident ?   For a 300 Rad exposure they would, but I'm not sure about a
75 Rem exposure.

  2 )  If the dose were accumulated at a lower rate, say a Rem or 2 per day,
what kind of clinical symptoms would be present after two months ?  What
would be the best biological methods for determining  dose.

Thank you for your time and consideration

Ron LaVera
Lavera.r@nypa.gov