X-rays to Detect Concealed Weapons

Seems we had a discussion about the use of back-scatter imaging systems
for concealed weapons detection about a year ago.  However, I am not
sure we came to any conclusion about whether it is OK to use such a
system.  In light of the HPS position paper on risks of low doses of
radiation and the current debate on the LNTH, would it be appropriate
for one of us (me) to contact the National Institute of Justice (NIJ)
and suggest, from the radiation safety standpoint, and the benefits to
be gained by using the system, the NIJ request the HPS to develop a
position paper supporting the use of such systems?  You can view a
description of the project on
wysiwyg://19/http//www.nlectc.org/techproj/nij_p25.html  Happy holidays
to all.  Al Tschaeche antatnsu@pacbell.net
begin:vcard