JCO, IAEA report: Umbilical cord

I am reading the IAEA preliminary report on the JCO accident. On page 31 I
find the following for Mr. B: "Since no appropriate related donors were
found, though, it was decided that transplantation of umbilical cord blood
cells should be performed, and fetal stem cells taken from his umbilical
cord were infused on 8 October..."

I don't get this. Can anyone clarify where the cells came from? Was it a
baby relative or any newborn? I assume that the idea is to work with cells
that have not been immunologically imprinted and therefore should be more
compatible with foreign immune systems without rejection.

My own ideas only & Merry Christmas to you all (Xmas is over here - lots of
rain in southern Sweden BTW),

Bjorn Cedervall     bcradsafers@hotmail.com