[ RadSafe ] Recommendation for an alternate source

Steven Dewey sdewey14 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 26 10:26:36 CDT 2005

Hello,

We are attempting to estimate the dead layer thickness in several HPGe
detectors. In order to accomplish this we plan to make measurements at two
angles with a low energy collimated source. Am-241 has been used in the past
for this purpose but we our reluctant to get a larger source since it is a
transuranic and difficult to dispose of. I was wondering if anyone could
recommend another source. I can look in the table of isotopes of course but
I am interested in finding a source that is readily commercially available.
I am looking for a gamma source with an energy between ~50 - 90 keV. Does
anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Steven Dewey

University of Michigan