[ RadSafe ] FYI, Researchers find Amchitka seafood safe for now

Paul Lavely lavelyp at uclink.berkeley.edu
Tue Aug 2 20:18:12 CDT 2005

>Does anyone have any idea of what this whole boondoggle will cost the US
>taxpayers?
>A review of  information on the CRESP website indicates the value of the
>knowledge to be gained is likely to be pretty close to zero.
>Jerry Cohen

Amchitka Independent Assessment Science Plan
June 24, 2003

II. INTRODUCTION
Amchitka Island, situated in a tectonically and seismically active
area in the mid-Aleutians, was the scene of three underground nuclear
test shots:

Long Shot 1965 ~80 kilotons
Milrow 1969 ~1 megatons
Cannikin 1971 ~5 megatons

Many concerns over earthquakes, pollution, and marine resources were
voiced at the time of the testing. Initial surveys did not report
evidence of radioactive contamination in the marine environment, and
residual radionuclides were considered confined to the test cavities.
At present, the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) is moving to closure
of contaminated sites and long term stewardship. Therefore it is
necessary to reassess the marine environment with respect to possible
current or future transfer of radionuclides and other contaminants to
the sea, to marine ecosystems, and particularly to sensitive or
endangered species, foods harvested by Aleut fishermen, and seafood
of commercial interest. It is also necessary to develop plans for the
scope and frequency of the monitoring that will be needed in the long
term stewardship program.

The cause for stakeholder concern is the possibility of release to
the marine environment of radioactive products from these nuclear
tests to the potential detriment of the ecology of the region and of
human health. Barriers to release are retention of some radionuclides
in the glass breccia formed by the explosions and the rock that
separates the shot cavities from the ocean.

There is public and agency concern that residual radionuclides from
nuclear tests may migrate through the fractured and faulted rock,
carried by groundwater, and enter the marine food chain causing
ecological and human health effects.
The specific objectives are:
* To determine whether or not current or future radionuclide releases
from the shot cavities to the marine environment pose significant
risks to human health and the ecosystem.
* To reduce uncertainty about the extent of the hazard and nature of
the risks to human health and the ecosystem associated with any
potential current or future radionuclide release to the marine
environment and the factors that may affect such risks.
* To devise and communicate an appropriate monitoring plan that would
detect potential significant future risks to human health and the
marine ecosystem as early as practical.
Specific questions of concern are:
1. Which radionuclides should be looked for?
2. Which foods are consumed by Aleuts?
3. What levels of test-related contamination are found now or might
be found in the future?
4. Would these levels pose a threat to human health or ecologic receptors?
5. How will we know if such threats arise in the future?

Amchitka Island is unusual among US legacy sites of the Cold War in a
number of ways:
* Underground nuclear explosions of exceptional size including the
largest (Cannikin)
ever.
* Location within an actively deforming plate boundary characterized
by intense earthquake activity.
* Remote location and difficulty of access.
* Proximity to Asia.
* Location within an important international fishery.
* Protected status as a National Wildlife Refuge with endangered species.
* Part of the marine environment that supports the subsistence life
style of indigenous people and significant commercial fisheries.

In a DOE letter of July 2003
http://www.cresp.org/index.html#section_1  DOE view letter

To Charles W, Powers CERSP II
From: Carl P Gertz Asst Manager for Environmental Management DOE

CRESP Budget Projects (to be paid by EM of DOE Nevada Office)
2 million in fy 2003
1 million in fy 2004
100,000 in fy 2005

--