AW: AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] Re: "Science" reports on background radiation andhealth

Bernard Cohen blc+ at pitt.edu
Thu Aug 11 11:34:49 CDT 2005

John Jacobus wrote:

>Dr. Cohen,
>Do your studies include high background radiation
>levels?

       ---They include background levels ranging from 0.4 pCi/L  to 6.5
pCi/L. The data are very significant statistically up to about 4 p/Ci/L
which corresponds to about  5-10 rem/y to the bronchial regions

>  Did you look at longevity or only cancers?

       ---I only reported on lung cancer but could extend the studies to
other cancers if that would be of interest. Do you know where I can get
data on longevity fir U.S. counties?

>Again, I am not interested in radon, but with ambient
>exposures.

       ---What is the definition of "ambient exposures"? The article in
Science discussed natural background radiation, not ambient exposures.