AW: AW: [ RadSafe ] AW: Low level radiation and cancer:

Rainer.Facius at dlr.de Rainer.Facius at dlr.de
Fri Aug 12 09:12:36 CDT 2005

Christian:

Thank you for your information regarding the life expectancy in Kerala exceeding that of normal Indians by a huge 19 years. I wonder whether you might be able to dig up this information in writing. Nowadays TV stations often publish manuscripts of their broadcasts on their website. Since you did see this interview, you are the one predestined to search for such a document.

Regarding your suggestion to study life expectancy as a function of the natural radiation exposure, my attitude is spilt.

Given the never-ending hassles regarding the influence of confounders, competing - in particular socio-economic - factors etc., etc., I sincerely doubt that such a crude population wide measure will yield the convincing evidence you expect. That an endpoint even less specific than cancer could reveal a compelling association with background dose radiation which cancer studies - with the exception of B. Cohen's work for lung cancer - were so far unable to establish would appear as a miracle to me and many more.

On the other hand, if indeed differences in the order of the Kerala life span excess could be demonstrated elsewhere and associated with radiation exposure, that really might be able to finally put LNT to rest. A far as science is concerned, I see the life expectancy of the LNT postulate approaching its natural demise anyway, so that to accelerate its departure might not be worth the efforts necessary for the studies which you suggest (of course Jim Muckerheide will vehemently object). If however such results could be construed as a case for radiation-hormesis working in human populations, the implications are hardly imaginable and of course would merit any effort.

Hopefully you will be able to find that interview and share it.

Kind regards, Rainer

Dr. Rainer Facius
German Aerospace Center
Institute of Aerospace Medicine